My cursor hovered over the add to cart button. That burlap Halloween banner was SO cute, it would be mine! I knew just where I would put it too. The finishing touch to my seasonal decor.
And then, the voice in my head: “Are you nuts?! I’ll bet you could make something just as cute for $5.00! You are NOT going to spend that much money on something you trot out once a year!”
The voice was right. She’s always right.
What you’ll need:
1/2 yard Burlap
10 feet Twine or Cording
Printer, Computer & Word/Doc. Program
Black Acrylic Paint
Fine Bristle Brush
Cup of water
1) Make a template. I used a scrap of paper towel.
2) Cut the banner pieces. You’ll need 14, but, cut a few extra. Just in case.
3) Open your word program and type H A P Y L O W E N.
You’ll be tracing those letters over and again to make your banner. No need to waste paper and ink typing out the whole thing is there?
I used Apple Chancery font set at 250 pt.
5) Tape your burlap piece over the letter.
6) Hold your template up to a window during the daylight. (Free light box!)
7) Trace the outline of the letter onto the burlap with a pencil.
8) Thin your paint with water until it’s the consistency of thick ink.
9) Fill in the letters traced on your burlap with paint. (You might need more than one coat)
10) Allow to dry for an hour.
11) Measure out two lengths of twine. One at 4 feet and one about 6 feet.
12) Fold over the top of your banner pieces and snip two holes for the twine to thread through.
13) Thread the burlap pieces onto the twine!